Bloodshot Eyes Home Remedies
Bloodshot eyes, also referred to as red eyes, is a condition in which the eyes take on a red colour. The blood vessels in the white portion of the eyes become enlarged and irritated causing this redness. Home remedies may be used to treat this condition which can be very economical and effective to bring about healing.
The ailments of the eyes vary a lot but some of the common causes for bloodshot eyes are due to trauma, high blood pressure (hypertension), coughing, dry air, foreign bodies, infection, fatigue, allergic reaction, over exposure to the sun, alcohol consumption, excessive wearing of contact lenses, dust, as well as a lack of vitamin B2 and B6.
There are other causes which can produce bloodshot eyes. Other causes can be:
1. Blepharitis, which is caused by bacteria of the skin. This can result in itching of the eyes as well as the eyes can become very oleaginous and caking.
2. Conjunctivitis or pink eye, which is very common among persons including children is caused by a virus, bacteria and allergy. It is very infectious if it is produced by an organism.
3. Corneal ulcers can also cause bloodshot which is caused by viral infection affecting the outer cover of the eye.
4. Glaucoma is also another reason for red eyes. This disease is damage to the optic nerve from high eye pressure and can lead to blindness if not caught early.
5. Uveitis is an inflammation of the uvea, including iris, ciliary body and choroids. It is linked to infection, auto-immune disorder, or exposure to noxious substance.
The following are eight Bloodshot Eyes Home Remedies:
1. Over closed eyes, splash cold water to decrease redness. This action will shrink the blood vessels and soothe the eye especially in the case of allergic reaction.
2. You can apply cold compress to your eyes by using an ice pack wrapped in a towel.
3. Warm compress can also be used for red eyes that are not itching. Red eyes without itching can be caused by tiredness or fatigue.
4. Three drops of rosemary medicinal herb or rose water can also be effective for bloodshot eyes.
5. Combine Aloe Vera juice, milk and rose water. Then soak cotton pads in this mixture and placed pads over closed eyes for ten to twenty minutes in a poorly lit room. This will help in reducing the redness.
6. Goldenseal medicinal herb contains berberine which compresses blood vessels and aids in reducing the red eye effect. It can also be used as a compress or wash eliminate pain.
7. Consuming two ripe tomatoes first thing in the morning can relieve blood shot eyes. Tomatoes should be eaten on empty stomach. Vitamin C and flavonoids which are found in tomatoes can help the blood vessel walls to be stronger.
8. If you have to wear contact lenses, it is advisable to wear genuine preservative-free contact lens. The ones with preservatives can cause redness and other related infections.
Due to the seriousness of some of eye diseases it is best to see your doctor before using home remedies just to be sure about your bloodshot eyes.
Submitted August 10, 2016
Shopping for medicinal herbs products and more? Visit https://www.medicinalherbs-4u.com/my-shopping-center.html and do your searching in the Amazon search box or order where you see the Amazon ads
Ann-Marie Bulgin-Graham, owner of Medicinalherbs-4u.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.